This position requires weekend work schedules.
- High School Diploma, similar or equivalent practical experience.
- 2 years of experience working with twisted pair copper cabling.
- Experience working with home networking equipment, wifi routers, switches, VoIP devices, and streaming devices.
- Ability to work in tight telecom closets, lift up to 25 lbs, work weekend schedules, and have a valid driver’s license.
- Technical school or technical training like BISCI or equivalent.
- Sales, customer experience or client facing experience.
- Knowledge of the physical layer, 66 blocks, 110 blocks, patch panels, fiber optic cabling, Copper BICSI 1, and related topics.
- Advanced troubleshooting skills related to routers, switches and hubs, and streaming devices.
- Excellent time management skills.
About the job
“My internet is too fast!” … said no one, ever. Google Fiber’s mission is to deliver abundant, reliable internet on networks that are always fast and open. On our team, you’ll work in a fast-paced environment that’s challenging the status quo in the broadband industry. Webpass is a business unit within Google Fiber that leverages point-to-point wireless technologies to deliver high-speed broadband services to residents in apartment and condo buildings, as well as small businesses.
As a Webpass Field Technician, you’ll install service for our residential and commercial customers. In our world, there are no appointment windows, only set appointments. We build our network specifically to deliver Internet, so it is a quick and easy install for both you and our customers. The cable is already in the wall, but you will verify the jack is punched down correctly, make any required cross connects to complete the connection all the way back to the telecom closet, and set up the customer’s router. For most of our customers you are the only Webpasser they ever meet, so you will be not just a skilled technician but a brand ambassador.
- Own the customer installation process for basic residential installations.
- Complete basic residential installations, including installing and testing Ethernet jacks, making cross connects, and performing all installations, maintenance, disconnects and troubleshooting in Webpass residential and commercial buildings.
- Execute against defined processes and procedures requiring strong attention to detail.
- Be customer focused and navigate essential customer interactions with professionalism and tact.
- Collaborate to complete projects in a timely manner, with the highest level of workmanship possible. Communicate clearly and effectively, both internally with colleagues and externally during customer interactions.
Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.